Shahin S Rad, MD
Dr. Rad is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon with fellowship-training in hip and knee replacement. He attended the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), and graduated with honors and Phi Beta Kappa with a Bachelor’s degree in psychobiology. He received his Doctorate of Medicine at the Chicago Medical School, where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society. Dr. Rad completed his internship at the prestigious Brown University in Rhode Island, and his orthopaedic surgery residency at McLaren-Flint through Michigan State University.
Dr. Rad also served as the only Chief resident during his residency. Dr. Rad pursued his passion, and completed a fellowship in joint replacement at the University of Southern California.
His training included primary total knee replacement, primary total hip replacement, revision total knee arthroplasty, and revision total knee arthroplasty. He is trained in Mako Robotic partial knee replacement, robotic total hip replacement, computer navigation total knee and hip replacement.
During his fellowship, Dr. Rad also served as a clinical instructor in orthopaedic at the University of Southern California training orthopaedic residents, and medical students.
Dr. Rad is active in orthopaedic surgery research, and has published numerous articles. He has presented his work at numerous local, national and international meetings. He has published articles in the prestigious Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, Bone and Joint Journal (Formerly British Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery), Journal of Arthroscopy, and the American Journal of Sports Medicine among others. He has also published many
instructional course lectures, and has been recognized for his research with the Michigan State University annual research award.
Dr. Rad is a diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, and a fellow of American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Redziniak DE, Diduch DR, Mihalko WM, Fulkerson JP, Novicoff WM, Sheibani-Rad S, Saleh KJ. Patellar Instability. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009;91(9):2264-75.
- Saleh KJ, Lee LW, Gandhi R, Ingersoll CD, Mahomed NN, Sheibani-Rad S, Novicoff WM, Mihalko WM. Quadriceps strength in relation to total knee arthroplasty outcomes. Instr Course Lect. 2010;59:119-130.
- Redziniak DE, Diduch DR, Mihalko WM, Fulkerson JP, Novicoff WM, Sheibani-Rad S, Saleh KJ. Patellar Instability. Instr Course Lect. 2010;59:195-206.
- Bruce B, Sheibani-Rad S, Appleyard D, Calfee RP, Reinert SE, Chapin KC, Digiovanni CW. Are dropped osteoarticular bone fragments safely reimplantable in vivo? J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93(5):430-8.
- Jacob J, Eisemon E, Sheibani-Rad S, Patel A, Jacob T, Choueka J. Matrix metalloproteinase levels as a marker for rotator cuff tears. Orthopedics. 2012;35(4):474-8.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Coetzee JC, Giveans MR, Digiovanni C. Arthrodesis Versus ORIF for Lisfranc Fractures. Orthopedics. 2012;35(6):e868-73.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Arnoczky SP, Walter NE. Analysis of the basic science section of the orthopaedic in-training examination. Orthopedics. 2012;35(8):1251-5.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Wolfe SW, Jupiter JJ. Musician hand disorders: The orthopaedist’s role. Bone Joint J. (J Bone Joint Surg Br). 2013;95(2):146-50.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Giveans RG, Arnoczky SP, Bedi A. Arthroscopic single-row versus double-row rotator cuff repair: A meta-analysis of the randomized clinical trials. Arthroscopy. 2013;29(2):343-348.
- Arnoczky SP, Sheibani-Rad S.The Basic science of platelet-rich Plasma (PRP):What clinicians need to know. Sports Med Arthrosc. 2013 Dec;21(4):180-5.
- Lavagnino M, Bedi A, Walsh CP, Sibilsky Enselman ER, Sheibani-Rad S, Arnoczky SP. Tendon contraction after cyclic elongation is an age-dependent phenomenon: In Vitro and In Vivo comparisons. Am J Sports Med. 2014 Mar 25;42(6):1471-1477.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Phillips CS. “Early clinical outcome after rigid volar plating for distal radius fractures”. April 2007. 25th Annual Meeting of Mid-America Orthopaedic Association.Boca Raton, FL.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Appleyard D, Dickenson R, DiGiovanni C. “Treatment protocol for a dropped osteoarticular fragment onto the operating floor.” May 2009. 8th World Congress of the International Cartilage Repair Society. Miami, FL.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Patel A, Argiro M, Choueka J. “The efficacy and compliance of night splinting for carpal tunnel syndrome.” June 2009.122nd Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Association. Bonita Springs, FL.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Patel A, Argiro M, Edelstein D, Choueka J. “Pre-operative carpal tunnel splint compliance.” September 2009. Combined Annual Meetings of the American Society for the Surgery of the Hand/American Society of Hand Therapists. San Francisco, CA.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Giveans R, Coetzee JC, DiGiovanni C. “Arthrodesis vs. ORIF for lisfranc fractures: A systematic review of the literature.” October 2009. 25th Annual meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association. San Diego, CA.
- Eisemon E, Sheibani-Rad S, Patel A. “Matrix Metalloproteinase Levels as a Marker for Rotator Cuff Tear.” October 2010. 28th Annual Adrian E. Flatt Residents & Fellows Conference. ASSH. Boston, MA.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Verioti C, Mosier-Laclair S. “Resolution of talar avascular necrosis in a young athlete.” June 2010. Michigan Orthopaedic Society Annual Scientific Meeting. Mackinac Island, MI.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Giveans RG. “A Meta-Analysis Comparison of Single Row vs. Double Row Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair.” February 2011. American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Arnoczky SP, Walter NE. “Analysis of the basic science section of the orthopaedic in-training (OITE) examination.” June 2012. Michigan Orthopaedic Society Annual Scientific Meeting. Mackinac Island, MI.
- Lavagnino M, Bedi A, Walsh M, Sheibani-Rad S, Arnoczky SP. Cyclic creep and recovery in patellar tendon: In-vitro and in-vivo studies. January 2013. Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS) Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Dass AG. ”Cost-effectiveness of hemiarthroplasty versus reverse total shoulder for proximal humerus fractures.” July 2014. ICJR Pan Pacific Orthopaedic Congress. Kona, HI.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Tompkins B, Baird GO, Caskey P. “Surgical Treatment of Hallux Valgus Deformity in Children with Cerebral Palsy.” July 2015 American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) Annual Meeting. Long Beach, CA.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Appleyard D, Dickenson R, DiGiovanni C. “Are dropped osteo-articular bone fragments safely reimplantable in vivo?” September 2008. 3rd Joint Meeting of the International Federation of Foot and Ankle Societies. Bahia, Brazil.
- Sheibani-Rad S. Pedicle Stress Fracture Following Charite Total Disc Replacement: Case Report Of A Rare Complication. July 2009. 26th Annual meeting of the Southern Orthopaedic Association. Amelia Island, FL.
- Eisemon EO, Smith C, Sheibani-Rad S, Choueka J, Shur V. “Simultaneous cardiac surgery and operative treatment of hip fractures: A retrospective case series.” August 2010. 74th Annual meeting of the Western Orthopaedic Association. Monterey, CA.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Dass AG.” Cost-effectiveness of hemiarthroplasty versus reverse total shoulder for proximal humerus fractures.” October 2013.44th Annual meeting of the Eastern Orthopaedic Association. Miami, FL.
- Sheibani-Rad S, Tompkins B, Baird GO, Weaver D, Rumley J, Caskey P. “Surgical Treatment of Hallux Valgus Deformity in Children with Cerebral Palsy.” July 2014. 78th Annual meeting of the Western Orthopaedic Association. Big Island, HI.
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
Chicago Medical School
McLaren-Flint/Michigan State University
University of Southern California (USC)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- Encino Hospital
- Sherman Oaks Hospital
- Valley Presbyterian Hospital
- Northridge Hospital
- Southern California Hospital Culver City
- Providence Cedars Sinai Tarzana Hospital
- State Society Memberships
California Orthopaedic Association
- Specialty Society Memberships
American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons